Different types of digital signatures
The digital signature world can be confusing as it involves different technical requirements and levels of security. In Europe we have a regulation in place that aims to establish a unified framework to enable secure cross-border electronic transactions and it’s called the Regulation on electronic identification and trust services, but everyone calls it eIDAS.
This is not new information, but Agrello platform has improved since we last talked about it and we offer new ways of signing with a possibility to give qualified signatures now.
This article will give you an overview of the different levels of digital signatures according to eIDAS and which of these can you use on Agrello platform.
Levels of digital signatures
Here is the list, starting with the lowest level of digital signatures:
- Other electronic signatures or also referred to as Simple Electronic Signatures (SES) – all other electronic signatures that do not meet valid standards. This could be your name at the end of an email.
- AdES (Advanced Electronic Signature) – The signature meets the technological requirements established in standards, but the background of the holder of the certificate used to give the signature as well as the background of the issuer of the certificate may be unknown.
- AdES/QC – Advanced Electronic Signature with a Qualified Certificate. The signature meets the technological requirements established in standards. The backgrounds of both the owner of the signature and the issuer of the certificate are checked.
- QES (Qualified Electronic Signature) - The highest level of e-signatures, which is equal to handwritten signatures. The signature meets the technological requirements established in standards. The backgrounds of both the owner of the signature and the issuer of the certificate are checked. Additionally, the signature is given with approved means (ID-cards, digital IDs, mobile-IDs and qualified Smart-ID accounts in Estonia.)
Options on Agrello platform
At Agrello we support two levels of digital signatures:
- After creating an account on Agrello platform and validating your email address you can immediately start giving Simple level signatures.
- On Agrello platform we support Smart-ID, Mobile-ID and ID-card, so if you have any of those options, you can use them to give a Qualified Electronic Signature (QES).
Did you find this post useful?
Schedule a demo call with us and we can talk about how the Agrello platform can benefit you.